Get Adobe Flash player
Location

    The development is in a quiet area of Sinaia, called Izvor, on the road towards Targoviste. It is located between Moroieni Road and the stream Izvorul Dorului, in a picturesque, natural setting surrounded by wooded hillsides.

Localizare

          Sinaia, also known as the “Pearl of the Carpathians”, is in the Prahova Valley, 49 km south of Brasov and 120 km north of Bucharest. Its name comes from the monastery built in the 17thcentury by a Romanian nobleman, after he had made a pilgrimage to Mount Sinai in Egypt. Its position in a beautiful mountain setting makes it among the oldest and most beautiful tourist resorts in Romania.  It was known especially as the Royal Family’s summer residence.

          In the second half of the 17th century in these wild places there were no dwellings, just the hermits living in the caves in the mountains. Landowner Mihai Cantacuzino, fugitive in Transylvania, was hidden in these woods, as he was being chased by the followers of the ruler Grigore Ghica, his father’s murderer. In return for his protection, he founded a hermitage of monks, which he dedicated to the orthodox monastery of St. Catherine on Mount Sinai in Egypt (both the hermitage and the city are later named "Sinaia"). The monastery, built in 1695 in brancovesian style, is painted by the great icon painter Parvu Mutu, and has been enriched by its founders with numerous lands, which have financed Eforia’s hospitals (Philanthropic Foundation) since the 19th century.

          The heart of Sinaia was actually formed in Izvor, where the people that were working for the monastery settled. In 1866, young sovereign Carol, from the German dynasty of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, who had taken over the country the same year, started a journey to get to know his new realm better. He stopped at the monastery as he was fond of mountainous places. After his marriage to Princes Elisabeta de Wied, in 1869, Carol 1st came back every summer to the mountains and the royal family was stayed in the Sinaia Monastery. In 1873, after a land exchange with Eforia’s Civil Hospitals, Carol received the swampy field on the Peles Stream valley, where he built his summer residence - Peles Castle.


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player